Portrait Photography Class — I took a college photography course a few tears ago, I learned more in these past 2 days than I did in 4 months full time courses. I found the portrait class to be very informative. It really helped me fine tune some of the areas I needed some help on, and highlighting what does and does not work for posing and why. I am now much more confident to tackle family groups. ===> Heather M.
Photographing people is one of the most difficult things to do and yet one of the most common subject matters. Our portrait photography classes are presented in an intensive weekend format that will cover many aspects of portrait photography and leave you with the knowledge and skills to create more flattering, creative and well lit portrait photographs.
You will learn how to guide your subject into classic and casual poses to suit the mood and background of the image. We will also discuss how and why to select certain locations for your photographs so that the photograph will convey the message that you or your subject want it to.
What good is a great pose and background if the people in the photograph are not well lit? In our portrait photography classes, you will learn and practise lighting techniques using natural light, window light, reflected light, subtractive light and flash photography.
About Your Instructor for the Portrait Photography Class
Chris has been a professional photographer for over two decades. He has been commissioned to create photographs across the country and has photographed many of Alberta’s prominent figures. Chris has won numerous awards for his work and has been a five time finalist for Alberta Portrait Photographer of the Year and a finalist for Canadian Portrait Photographer of the Year. He is the past president of the Professional Photographers of Canada and has been given the title “Master of Photographic Arts” and “Honorary Lifetime Member” by this association. Recently, Chris as become a prominent photographic educator and has lectured to professional photographers across Canada. In addition to the workshops with the Burwell School of Photography, Chris offers classes with Edmonton’s Metro Community College and NAIT Continuing Education.
What You Will Learn During our Portrait Photography Class
- Camera Equipment for Portrait Photography
- Studio Photography Equipment
- Portrait Lighting Techniques
- Classic Posing Techniques
- Digital Darkroom Considerations
What to Expect
- 12 hours of classroom instruction
- Lunch on both days consisting of a choice of main course, 2 salads, soup, side dishes and dessert
- Certificate of completion
- Small group size, limited to 12 participants
Prerequisites for the Portrait Photography Class
- Digital Camera Fundamentals Class or equivalent experience
- DSLR camera
- external flash (recommended)
- Providence Renewal Centre • 3005 119 Street, Edmonton, Alberta
- $275 Canadian Dollars (plus tax).
- Current currency exchange information between the Canadian dollar and your local currency is available here.
Policies and payment information are available here.
For additional information about our Portrait Photography classes, please contact us at:
E-Mail: Contact us Electronically
Phone 780-669-1261 or toll-free at 1-877-778-1745