Photography in the Dark? Don’t you need LIGHT to take a photograph? The simple answer is YES. The fun answer is “sort of”… and in this class devoted to some very special techniques to literally “paint with light” using portable strobe, flashlights, sparklers and more. Instructor Dan Nelson will enlighten you on how you can create some unique, artistic and incredibly fun images using a variety of methods.
Your weekend begins in the classroom with a discussion on the necessary equipment and instruction on how to use it. Later that afternoon, in a darkened room, you will practice these techniques and work as a team to create some amazing images. The class continues that evening with a field trip to a special destination (TBD) where you and your classmates will practice these techniques out doors; photographing at night. The following day you will all meet once again to review the photographs that were created the previous day, learn a few new tricks and discuss some editing techniques that can enhance the photographs and elevate them to true works of art.
The special techniques covered in this workshop will be (but not limited too);
A small portion of this class will be a discussion of editing and post-production techniques. It is recommended but not a requirement that you bring a laptop computer with Adobe Lightroom CC. Students who do not have a laptop with Adobe Lightroom software will still learn a mind boggling amount.
The Burwell School of Photography will supply all necessary lighting equipment and special effects devises for your use during this class.
What You Will Learn in the Photography in the Dark Class
- how to photograph at night using long exposures
- what equipment you need for night photography
- the technique of painting with light
- using alternative sources of light to your advantage
- using a small flash(es)
- do’s and don’ts
- look at sample images using all these techniques
- what problems you might encounter and how to solve them
What to Expect
- 16 hours of classroom instruction
- Weekend classes include a hot lunch on both days
- Certificate of completion
- Small group size, limited to 12 participants
Prerequisites for the Photography in the Dark Class
- Digital Camera Fundamentals Class or equivalent experience
- (Recommended) Photographic Composition Class or equivalent experience
Equipment Required for the Photography in the Dark Class
- DSLR camera with fully charged battery(s) and memory cards(s)
- Wide angle lens (or equivalent zoom)
- Telephoto lens (or equivalent zoom)
- Tripod (if you do not own a tripod, we may be able to arrange a loaner)
- Cable release or Remote Trigger (if you do not own a cable release, we may be able to arrange a loaner)
- Chateau Louis Conference Centre - 11727 Kingsway NW, Edmonton, Alberta
- $275 Canadian Dollars (plus tax).
- Current currency exchange information between the Canadian dollar and your local currency is available here.
Policies and payment information are available here.
For additional information, please contact us at:
E-Mail: Contact us Electronically