The Photographic Composition class is for ANY photographer who would like to create more compelling and interesting images. This class moves you beyond taking snapshots and transforms you into a photographic artist.
During the class, you will learn the most important basic photography concepts including: effective composition guidelines, use of leading lines, color harmony, proper positioning of subject matter, creation of strong focal points, beyond the rule of thirds by understanding Fibonacci mathematics, eliminating distractions, tonal control and so much more.
Major topics discussed include the elements of Space, Line, Color, Tone, Shape, Texture, and Form. The proper use of negative space, foreground, visual balance and story telling or "mesasging" in your photography are also discussed.
The Photographic Composition Class isn't about getting you comfortable with your camera, rather it's an informative look at the craft of photography. Learning to "see" though your view finder.
You'll have plenty of opportunity to receive feedback on your work in a friendly community environment.
We always tell students that the number one way to improve their photography is to show their images and receive feedback from professional photographers who know what makes a good photograph. Showing your images to relatives is great and in their eyes you'll always be a fantastic photographer, but to make real improvements in your work, you need to receive real, constructive feedback.
What You Will Learn
- Improving your photography
- Strong underlying compositional order
- Ignoring the Details
- Simplifying and Excluding
- Composition versus Framing
- Lightening and Darkening
- Using Colour
- Composing for different frame shapes and orientations
- Dividing the Frame
- "Rules" of Composition
- Frames within Frames
- Creating Dynamic Tension
- Using Lines to direct the viewer
- The use of curves within an image
- Using focus to direct the viewer through an image
What to Expect
- 12 hours of classroom instruction
- Plenty of hands-on practical exercises
- Photographic Composition course book
- Certificate of Completion
- Delicious snacks during coffee breaks
- Small group size, limited to 16 participants
- Completion of the Burwell School of Photography Digital Camera Fundamentals class or an equivalent course or practical experience including the ability to work with your camera in manual mode
At a minimum, you'll want to have...
- A fully adjustable (must have the ability to shoot in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual Modes) digital camera (digital SLR with a removable lens preferred).
- If you are not sure that your camera qualifies, please contact us with the details of your equipment
- An external flash unit
- A tripod
- A remote shutter release
- Providence Renewal Centre
- 3005 - 119 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta
Cost of the Class
- $250 Canadian Dollars (plus tax) for the weekday evening class.
Policies and payment information are available here.
For additional information, please contact us at:
E-Mail: Contact us Electronically