Join former Professional Photographers of Canada’s Photographic artist of the Year for Alberta, Darlene Hildebrandt for a Night Photography Class. This course will teach you to make compelling images during the time of day most people don’t try to photograph: night time.
Darlene will teach you about the equipment required along with the different technical considerations that are necessary when photographing at night. The class also includes a field trip that will provide you with hands-on experience under Darlene’s watchful eye to capture interesting images at night.
About Your Instructor for the Night Photography Class
Darlene brings more than 24 years experience as a professional photographer to Burwell School of Photography. She is a graduate of the Nait Photography program and was a highly honoured and awarded member of the PPOC (Professional Photographers of Canada) for 18 years, winning Photographic Artist of the Year in Alberta in 2006. She has worked professionally in the areas of commercial photography (product photography, food photography, editorial portraits, and event coverage); portrait and wedding photography (running her own studio for 11 years); and most recently travel and fine art photography.
Her work proudly hangs in many people’s homes and has been featured in several magazines including: Good Sam’s “Highways”; Night of Artists annual; Art Trends; the Notebook; Photo District News; as well as at various local festivals and events; and currently at Daffodil Gallery in Edmonton.
Darlene is a seasoned traveler having spent time in Mexico, Singapore, Malaysia, Peru, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia, Turkey, Spain, and 6 months in the US on an extended RV trip. Darlene loves exotic locales, exotic food and experiencing different countries directly through the local people and the cultural arts. She enjoys helping others and she also teaches classes with McBain Camera, Metro Continuing Education and her own Travel Photo Tours. Her goal is to bring her passion to photographer to others, and help new photographers improve their images and have fun.
What You Will Learn During our Night Photography Class
- how to photograph at night using long exposures
- what equipment you need for night photography
- the technique of painting with light
- using alternative sources of light to your advantage
- using a small flash(es)
- do’s and don’ts
- look at sample images using all these techniques
- what problems you might encounter and how to solve them
- a field trip to give you hands-on experience with Night Photography
What to Expect
- 8 hours of classroom instruction
- 3 hour night photography field trip
- Weekend classes include a hot lunch or dinner consisting of a choice of main course, 2 salads, soup, side dishes and dessert
- Certificate of completion
- Small group size, limited to 12 participants
Prerequisites for our Night Photography Class
- Digital Camera Fundamentals Class or equivalent experience
- (Recommended) Photography Fundamentals Class or equivalent experience
Equipment Required for our Night Photography Class
- Camera which allows manual control of shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings
- A tripod capable of supporting the weight of your camera equipment for extended periods of time
- A cable release or wireless shutter release
- Providence Renewal Centre – 3005 119 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta
- $275 Canadian Dollars (plus tax).
- Current currency exchange information between the Canadian dollar and your local currency is available here.
Policies and payment information are available here.
For additional information, please contact us at:
E-Mail: Contact us Electronically
Phone 780-669-1261 or toll-free at 1-877-778-1745