Our Digital Camera Fundamentals Photography Class is offered in either a two-day weekend or four-weekday evening format. This class is aimed at photographers who have just started using a Digital Camera (with manual controls) and who would like to learn more about their camera and its features and functions. Your camera MUST have a removable lens in order to take this class. If it doesn’t, our Digital Photography for Beginners Class is perfect for you.
If you have been taking photographs with your Digital Camera on the automatic setting, and want to gain greater control over your camera and the photographs you create, then this class is for you.
To get the most out of the investment you’ve made in your new Digital Camera you need to get your camera off of the automatic setting. By completing this course, you will gain the confidence you need to best utilize your camera and make the creative photographs you desire.
The Digital Camera Fundamentals Photography Class is all about the fundamentals of digital camera operation and is completely hands-on. We’ll do a numerous practical exercises throughout the course that will allow you to put the concepts covered in class into practice for yourself.
If your camera DOES have a removable lens and you’re not sure whether to take this class or our Digital Photography for Beginners Class, please see below under ‘Prerequisites’ for more information.
This class has been selling out months in advance.
If a class is sold-out, you do have the option of putting your name on a wait list and if a spot opens up you may be able to get in. Unfortunately we also have long wait-lists of people waiting for a cancellation. At this time, we’re offering as many classes as we can, and to provide the best quality we’re keeping our class sizes small. For these reasons, please sign up soon if you’re interested in taking a class.
Students are currently booking about 2-3 months in advance for this class.
|Digital Camera Fundamentals Class | April 22 - 23, 2017||Providence Renewal Centre||
|Digital Camera Fundamentals Class | May 25 & June 1, 8 & 15, 2017||Providence Renewal Centre||
|Digital Camera Fundamentals Class | May 27 - 28, 2017||Providence Renewal Centre||
|Digital Camera Fundamentals Class | June 24 - 25, 2017||Providence Renewal Centre||
What You Will Learn
(these topics may sound complex but rest assured, by the end of the class, you’ll understand them!)
Introduction to Digital Cameras
- Adjusting the clarity of your viewfinder using the diopter
- Tips, tricks and techniques for making sharper images
- Guidelines to selecting and using interchangeable lenses
- Using the different auto-focus and drive modes on your camera
- Using image stabilisation and mirror lock-up functions (where applicable)
- Using manual hyper-focus techniques and the depth of field preview
Aperture and Shutter Priority Modes (Creative Exposure Modes)
- How to use aperture priority to control the depth-of-field of a scene
- Using shutter priority to control movement of objects in the frame
- Reading and interpreting the exposure histogram
Manual Exposure Modes and Useful Custom Settings
- Working the Manual (M) and Bulb (B) exposure modes on your digital camera
- Using manual white balance for mixed lighting situations
- Useful custom settings and user-defined shooting modes
- Performing camera firmware updates
- Techniques for cleaning your digital sensor
Using your Electronic Flash
- Using flash synchronisation (slow sync, first-curtain sync and second-curtain sync)
- Using dedicated external flash – features and functions
- Using flash exposure compensation (FEC)
- Useful bounce-flash techniques
- Creating balanced exposures
What a great weekend spent at the Burwell School of Photography. Walking in on Saturday with a new DSLR camera, that I knew very little about and leaving on Sunday afternoon with the ability and confidence to use the camera in manual mode, making custom adjustments etc. was a very uplifting experience. Chris is an excellent instructor, and his approach to teaching this class made it very easy for even the beginner to leave feeling more confident. I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend and I am looking forward to attending next weeks class on Photography Fundamentals.