Are you a beginner photographer or do you wish you had a better grasp of what your camera could do?
Do you want to learn to take better photographs?
Join us in our introductory class, appropriate for absolute beginners to those with some experience who wish to learn more about their cameras.
Any type of camera (including the 'point and shoot' variety) is fine for this class (except for cell phone cameras; even though they're fun, they're not included in this class).
Our Digital Photography for Beginners Class helps beginners get familiar and comfortable with their digital cameras. If you want to learn how to use the various buttons, dials and menu settings on your compact digital camera, this is the class you've been looking for.
You'll bring your camera, your camera manual and a willingness to have some fun in class while we teach you all about your camera's automatic and manual settings. We'll also discuss getting your photos from your camera onto a computer and options for processing and editing your photos.
You'll receive excellent tips and will come out of this class with new found skills to begin to creatively design and create photos that look like you want them to look.
Unsure if you should take this class or the more advance "Digital Camera Fundamentals"? Read 'Prerequisites for Digital Photography for Beginners' at the bottom of this page for more information.
What You Will Learn
You'll leave this beginner photography class feeling a lot more comfortable with a camera in hand.
- How your digital camera works
- Differences between automatic and manual modes
- Instruction on aperture, depth of field, shutter speed, composition, lighting and flash
- How to compose better images
- How to begin to creatively design and create better photographs
- Advanced techniques for controlling your camera
- Viewing your images or video
- Saving and filing images
- Software considerations
- Accessories available for compact digital cameras
What to Expect
- 6 hours of excellent classroom instruction
- hands on excersizes and assistance from the instructor
- Certificate of completion
- Small group size, limited to 12 participants
- A new found confidence and knowledge of your camera!
- A camera of your choice
- A fully charged battery for the camera
- Memory cards for the camera
- A copy of your cameras instruction manual or user guide. If you do not have a printed book of your user manual, you may download a PDF copy form the manufacturers website. A PDF on your tablet or smartphone is acceptable
- We provide a handout but you may wish to bring some extra paper and a pen
Prerequisites for our Beginner Photography class
- You have a camera and like taking photos - that's it!
- Point and shoot cameras welcome!
- more advanced DSLR or Mirror-less cameras are also welcome!
- No cell phone cameras please
How to decide which class to register for
The Burwell School of Photography has 2 introductory courses as part of their core curriculum.
- Digital Photography for Beginners 1 day class (this one), and
- Digital Camera Fundamentals 2 day class
Here's how to help decide which one to register for:
This Beginner Photography class is for you if:
If you have a camera with NO removable lenses, then this is the class for you.
Think "point and shoot" (but not a cell phone).
The beginner class is a single day of 6 hours.
Our Digital Camera Fundamentals class is for you if:
Our other class, Digital Camera Fundamentals is for students who DO HAVE a camera with removable / interchangeable lenses and advanced features.
The fundamentals class is longer - 12 hours over a weekend, so topics are covered in greater detail.
Many students who have cameras with removable lenses choose to start with this Beginners class and then progress to Digital Camera Fundamentals after the practice what they learn in Beginners. If you choose to do this then there will be some review, but in our opinion, that's not a bad thing! If you are in doubt as to which class to take, contact us (contact info is at the bottom of the page).
Students must be at least 16 years of age to attend; we will also accept younger students, but they must be accompanied by an adult who is also taking the class. If you are booking a class as a parent & child, contact us for a 50% discount on the youth registration.
- Providence Renewal Centre
- 3005 - 119 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta.
Our classes are taught at the Providence Renewal Centre, located in southwest Edmonton, within city limits. It's a beautiful retreat centre, situated on over 20 acres of park like grounds, and it also has a cafeteria for meals (for the weekend class). There are numerous hotels and shopping located very close by for those of you that are travelling.
- $170 Canadian Dollars (plus tax). Price includes hot lunch
- Current currency exchange information between the Canadian dollar and your local currency is available here.
Policies and payment information are available here.
For additional information, please contact us at:
E-Mail: Contact us Electronically